The first thing you think about doing when holiday guests are coming over is probably cleaning and neatening up. But don’t stop there! Make sure your home will be comfortable for your guest. Cleaning is a must, but US News and World Report had some great tips for going the extra mile if you want to be the host of the year!
Check the home systems. To ensure your guests’ comfort and make hosting easier during their stay, be sure your home’s plumbing, wiring, heating and appliances are all fully operational. For example:
- Be sure the toilet flushes properly and the bathtub drains. Put a toilet plunger behind the toilet in case of a clog.
- At midnight, the sound of a dripping faucet can be like Chinese water torture – repair dripping faucets. Similarly, spray a little penetrating oil onto squeaky door hinges so they don’t creak at night.
- Be sure lamps, lights, electrical receptacles and switches work. In the guest room, consider changing regular switches for dimmers so guests can adjust lighting to their comfort levels.
- Check the heating and cooling before guests arrive. If the guest room has separate temperature control, show your guests how to adjust the settings.
- Be sure doors and windows close and lock properly to ensure security and privacy.
- Many accidents happen during the excitement of visits, particularly when children are on unfamiliar turf.